- Jack was born in Rochester, NY. Jack’s father was John Henrie, who worked primarily as a car man in the railroad for nearly his entire non-military career. Jack’s first job was working alongside his father building cabooses.
- Jack is a summa cum laude East Rochester HS graduate and has a BA (English) and an MBA (Accounting, Finance) from the University of Rochester.
- Jack married Robin in 1976, while he was working for Amtrak in Chicago. They came to Connecticut to visit a college friend and decided that this was where they wanted to make their home. They lived in Simsbury for 8 years.
- In 1986, Jack became the Chief Financial Officer of a company in West Suffield. Jack fell in love with Suffield, and, after he introduced her to the town, so did Robin. They moved to Suffield in August 1987 with their two children and their golden retriever. They were welcomed immediately, and they were struck by the friendliness of the people in town and all that the town had to offer.
- Jack’s and Robin’s children attended the Suffield Public Schools. Jack, Robin, and their son, Jonathan continue to live in Suffield. Robin is a speech and language pathologist at Agawam High School. Their daughter, Sharon, lives with her husband and two children just outside of Atlanta, GA, where Sharon is a clinical psychologist at the Atlanta VA Medical Center.
Jack’s business career:
- Jack is an MBA/CPA entrepreneur and Suffield-based, small business owner with 30+ years of business experience, most of it in the State of Connecticut.
- Over the course of Jack’s career, he has added hundreds of jobs, primarily in Connecticut, while adding over $1 billion in stakeholder wealth. (Stakeholders are customers, employees, shareholders, supply chain, and the community. For further information, check out Jack's response to this article (responses 16 and 17).
- Jack is a CPA with
auditor consulting experience at Amtrak, Ernst & Young, KPMG, and at Deloitte & Touche.
- At Northeast Utilities, Jack drafted their accounting policies, worked for the Treasurer, and led their contract administration. He increased stakeholder wealth by $130+ million and positively impacted national utility policies. He coordinated/initiated coordination of $100+ million in tax-exempt financings saving $10 million annually. As contract administrator, he salvaged client relationships and was responsible for $100+ million in annual revenue.
- In 1986, Jack became the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) of the Northeast’s second largest wholesale nursery, headquartered in West Suffield. Jack negotiated financings and supported a 3-year increase in total assets by 60%, revenue by 80%, and net income by 300%.
- As CFO of a Farmington-based international petroleum exploration and environmental services company, he led a financially bankrupt company to a surplus position in ten months and to a 5330% return on equity by his fourth year. He intends to use that experience in Hartford with our state (and nation).
- As an entrepreneur and Suffield-based small business owner since 1994, Jack has:
- Supported an emerging distribution business’ growth to $20+ million as he became a director.
- Coordinated moving the California headquarters of two businesses to Massachusetts, leading to significant increases in capitalization ($50+ million), revenue, profitability, and employment.
- Improved accounting, financial, legal, and insurance services at reduced costs while also improving purchasing processes, contracts, and sales.
- As CFO of a web-based legal solutions company, Jack
- Got it recognized as the fastest growing technology company in CT for its 5-year 7049% revenue growth.
- Supported sales expansion from domestic only to 129 countries and focused sales profitability and worked with counsel in negotiations and contracts to improve profit margins.
- Relocated company and retained its Hartford headquarters to add about 125 employees while increasing EBITDA (earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation, and amortization) by $20 million.
- Jack is an innovative leader and team builder, who has been the first CFO/Acting CFO of 20 companies.
- Jack has been a Board member of several privately-held and publicly traded companies.
- He has been the Project Manager of two of CT’s largest brownfield sites and has remediated 21 of 85 acres as part of a $3 billion commercial construction project in Stamford.
- Served on Suffield’s Board of Finance for 10 years.
- Represented the Board of Finance on the Board of Education and the Retirement Commission.
- As the Chair of the Suffield Board of Finance Audit Committee presided over a transition in Suffield’s auditors.
- Founder and Co-chair of the Hartford-Springfield Chapter of the Financial Executives Networking Group.
- Board member of Sinai Temple and of the Men and Women of Sinai, past Treasurer of Sinai Temple, and President of the Men and Women of Sinai.
- Vocal soloist and member of Sinai Temple’s volunteer Adult Choir.